Inspired by the infinite combinations afforded by the elegantly simple Lego block, the Duplo Interface explores tangible computer interfaces through these iconic child's toys.
The goals of the interface are enabled using computer vision algorithms and machine learning models to capture the configuration of Duplos in real-time and translate the data into audio synthesis parameters.
The Duplo Interface is built in Max and c/c++. The mapping of Lego data to audio parameters is enabled through an original implementation of a Self-Organizing Map neural network which in turn drives a granular synthesis engine.
• Approachable, not requiring any special clothing or expertise.
• Enabling intuitive, natural interactions.
• Leveraging affordances of the Lego block.
• Wire-free, non-invasive connection to the computer.
• Immediately responsive.
• Robust to many light conditions.